Tuesday, December 25, 2018
A Good Day to revisit this classic from Folger's, with more questions....
1. How far did that Volkswagen go to bring Peter home for the holidays? It's caked with frost when it drops him off. I know that Volkswagen heaters were notoriously bad, but jeesh...at least the back should have been clear of snow after twenty minutes or so. That's where the engine was, after all.
2. Does Peter just assume there isn't already a can of coffee open? I mean, he starts right off by opening a new one. Maybe he brought that one?
3. Why does Peter set out the glass coffee pot with no lid on it instead of leaving it on the heating plate until people begin to wake up? That coffee is going to get cold in about five minutes. And it's already Folger's- the only thing nastier than Folger's coffee is cold Folger's coffee.
4. Why is this family drinking the coffee out of those stupid tiny teacups? Oh, right, because it's a commercial and it's important to show the coffee as much as possible. Doesn't seem at all important today- generally in modern ads we see people carrying around huge mugs. Maybe today it's all about the consumption level.
5. Why is this family drinking Folger's in the first place? Oh, right- because it's the 70s, before gourmet coffee was a thing. I bet the only place to get a good cup of coffee in this town is the local diner or maybe McDonald's or Dunkin Donuts. So Folger's is the standard for this family at this time. Which is probably why nobody is nostalgic for the 70s.