Friday, November 5, 2010
A little bit of everything except respect for our intelligence
1. Washed-Up Character Actor from the 1980s- Check.
2. Crowd of twentysomething jackanapes so ungrateful at having a job in an era of near-10 percent unemployment (adjusted to 17% when factoring in the people who have just given up) that they are willing to steal their employer's money by slacking off shamelessly- Check.
3. Sexist imagery (in this case, pompoms appearing from nowhere to be waved by the female coworkers)- Check.
4. Stern, grey-haired MALE boss asserting his position as Bull of the Herd by barking "JOHNSON!" (has anyone out there ever worked at an office in which the boss refers to you by your last name, with no prefix? Anyone?) -- Check.
5. Stern, grey-haired MALE boss congratulating Chief Slacker for coming up with a way to rob the business of productive work from it's employees, who are presumably being paid to work Sundays- Check.
6. Mindless cheering at male boss's stunningly predictable response to seeing his entire staff blowing off work for The Big Game (why do they "have" to work Sunday, anyway? If the work was so important, why is this slacking off even possible? I mean, what the heck?) --Check.
What kind of fantasy world is this, anyway? Why does the office have to be open on Sunday? What kind of coworker would risk his job setting up a projector to watch a football game when he's supposed to be working? What kind of coworker would practically GUARANTEE his dismissal by bringing beer into the office during working hours? What kind of boss would buy into this for a BUD LITE??
Most importantly (if the word "important" could ever really be used to describe anything that appears on this blog,) how can this ad sit well with the mass of unemployed or underemployed citizens previously mentioned? Here's a crowd of gainfully employed, good looking young people perfectly willing to risk dismissal rather than put in a few hours on a Sunday- and getting away with it. Great message, Budweiser. I'll remember it this Sunday, when I'm picking up a few extra dollars reading an SAT to a student instead of watching football.
But no, I won't be smuggling a television or a six-pack into the school to make the task more pleasant. Go figure.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Yeah, whatever universe you live in, this ad is epic fail. Watching sports and drinking beer when you are supposed to be working? Go directly to fired, do not pass "go"...ReplyDelete
Character actor? CHARACTER ACTOR!!!! Must I remind you of his starring role in Action Jackson? Seriously though, good stuff as always. Your blog always puts a smile on my face.ReplyDelete
Thanks for the "Action Jackson" reminder- I worked at a (now-defunct) video rental store in Crystal City Virginia in the late-80s and I remember having to watch that movie on the store's monitor because the manager liked it so much....still better than the Genesis and Tears for Fears videos...or watching "An American Tail" six times a day to draw the suckers in....ReplyDelete